Word Revel

Book blogger, recent Sociology grad in her twenties. Stares at labels when no books are in sight. Disproportionately reads YA. This is a companion blog to http://wordrevel.com.

Coffeehouse Angel

Coffeehouse Angel - Suzanne Selfors Finally a holiday read that I enjoyed cozying up with! Coffeehouse Angel is a delightful book about friendship, romance, hope and a little bit of mystery. Set in a little quaint town beset with Norwegian traditions, it captures the warmth of winter. Yes, oxymoronic but true. As low as temperatures might drop, there’s always something that can warm the heart, which Suzanne Selfors did wonderfully well with her book.

Best of all, no love triangles, and no pining after the best friend. Katrina even breaks the fourth wall to assure the reader of that fact:
“Don’t worry, this is not one of those ‘I’m in love with my best friend’ stories. ‘Cause I wasn’t.”

This holds true to their friendship since childhood and something that made me glad. There aren’t enough books out there that portray the dynamics of male-female friendships that are entirely platonic.

Since this is a rather short book though, I don’t think the plot is as developed as it could have been. Nonetheless, there are pockets that allow the story to breathe, so that none of the events override each other. The sequence is believable. Also, despite running the risk of becoming incredibly cheesy, Selfors managed to tone it down and add realism to the mysticism surrounding the premise.

All in all, Coffehouse Angel is a light read perfect for the holidays that is bound to make readers feel fuzzy inside. If not from the story itself, then at least from the coffee cravings that are likely to arise. Either way, cheesy romances generally make me cringe, and cringe I did not at this book.

This review is also available at dudettereads.com.

A Corner of White