Word Revel

Book blogger, recent Sociology grad in her twenties. Stares at labels when no books are in sight. Disproportionately reads YA. This is a companion blog to http://wordrevel.com.

Glimpse

The Glimpse - Claire Merle Ana to me was a believable character. There was no pretension of noble motives in attempting to save Jasper, especially when their relationship became delicate in his captivity. While Ana set out for Jasper, she also set out for herself. I appreciated that a lot. Also, she had the maturity of an older teen, knowing how to handle secrets, yet portraying her still lesser developed moods, as expected of a teenager.

I thought it interesting that Ana was put in a position of intense scrutiny to prove that she was not inferior to the Pures. She had honed her act to face intense psychological examinations, under the tutelage of her father. As much as she resented having to appear perfect, she continued to appease the authorities with her control in order to remain in the Community. All these years she had been fed the notion that any display of heightened emotions point to possible mental instability. Since her father had developed the study of DNA for hereditary mental illnesses, she trusted fully in the established system. Once in the City though, she recognizes that the Crazies might not be as dangerous as she had come to believe. At the same time, their treatments (or lack thereof) were not preventing four-year-olds from attempting to commit suicide. This set her off in a pursuit for the truth and she took me right along with her as I read the pages of the book.

During her time in the City, Ana meets Cole and his two siblings. She forges a friendship with his sister and a slow romance ensues between Ana and Cole. As much as the characters became predictable, the plot did not suffer as a result. In the end, I found myself sympathizing with the Crazies precisely because of the injustice they experienced.

Fuller review here.